Monday, November 16, 2009

Blue Moon


Would you purchase used undergarments? Probably not.

But I wanted to see what all the hullabaloo was about these infamous tech suits that almost all of the world-class, age group, and elite masters swimmers are wearing. So I purchased a slightly-loved Blueseventy, retail $495, for $130 on Ebay. I was hoping I could use it at least for the BU meet this December, before the suits are deemed illegal by the governing forces. In the interim, I learned that a 1500 short course meter event, not offered at BU, was listed up in Portland, ME yesterday. I jumped at the chance to get a time for that event before I age up...and to try out my new suit.

I warmed up in my practice suit because I heard that the tech suits are very hot, tight, and uncomfortable. The guys can unzip theirs and pull them down to their waists, but that would be out of the question, even for me.

The meet was really a mini-meet and was moving along briskly so I decided to change into the B70 before my 400m freestyle and give it a trial run.

I dried off quickly and began to carefully work my large-ish (relatively speaking, for the record, my size 10-11 feet are quite small for my height) feet through the ankle holes and work the legs up. I worked the suit up to my waist, but still had about 3 inches to go. Instinctively I dropped down into a deep-knee bend and yanked....RIP!

Now, some may have thrown in the towel here, but not the KGirl. There was no way I wasn't wearing that stupid cheat suit.

I hereby apologize to my timers, some of them being fairly young and impressionable, and any others who may have had the misfortune to be standing behind my block for my events.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for giving me the distinct privilege of rubbing Fray Check in your crack. I feel so close to you some how.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and thanks for rubbing Fray Check in my crack. You are a real friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you like the suit?

    I got a "gently used" B70 for $80 from a guy on the USMS forums who didn't like his.

    It developed some of those holes you mention at LCM nationals, so I took it to the B70 booth and asked them if they would exchange it.

    The guy asked me if I bought it there.

    I said no.

    He asked me if I bought it recently.,

    I said yes, I bought it for this meet. He didn't, fortunately, ask if I bought it new.

    He agreed to give me a free exchange. I then asked if I could keep the old one with the holes, for sentimental purposes, because I had done some best times in it.

    He let me keep it.

    I gave it to my friend Bill, who has since then used it to get some of his best times in years.

    Unit cost of B70s by using the above system: $40 per suit. Plus the good will of your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the suit. I just took 9 seconds off my 400m free going easy. 37 seconds off my 800 split in the 1500. Broke New England records in 400, 800, 1500 free. (800 not official) Yeah, I like the suit. I'll be sealing that hole up for the BU meet. Looking forward to meeting Fortress!

    And then back to my slower times in 2010?! I'll just have to work a little harder!!

    ReplyDelete