Monday, November 9, 2009

Indelible

You know how some people can remember things from way, way back? I can't. No memories from age 3, and certainly none from age 2. When I was 3 our family moved to Zurich for my father's job. I have a photo in my album where my mom and I are wearing matching plaid outfits that she sewed herself. We look like the perfect family, with three kids and a cute gray poodle named Rima.

My mom says I used to announce cheerfully each day, "time for a nap!" She was grateful because these were dark days and slipping under the blankets probably made us both feel a little bit better.

When I was 4, I remember walking into my parents' room. He was standing in front of the mirror, fixing his tie. I asked, "where are you going?" "On a business trip," he replied curtly, and then added, "a long business trip."

He never returned.

2 comments:

  1. There is something very poignant about this posting--the brevity and the details, a prose haiku kind of thing.

    Wonderful writing; wonderful restraint; not so wonderful way to begin your post toddler childhood years.

    Sorry for your loss. Sorry, too, for your father's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete